Monday, October 17, 2011

Tell 'Em Why You Mad, Son

I cant stop thinking about this shirt that I spotted at Modell’s this past weekend. And the more I ruminate, the angrier I get.




Why? It’s just some lame Yankees shirt

Exactly. It’s a lame (licensed) Yankees shirt. Which means someone (most likely Majestic) not only paid a designer to re-hash a lame idea for the umpteenth time, but they paid for the licensing as well.

Do I really need to get into the lameness of this? The “Got Milk?” concept was funny 10 years ago. In Yankee land, it should have ended with the “Got Melky?” phenomenon (I wonder who the first vendor on River Ave was that had those…..oh yeah. It was me). The phrase really jumped the shark with the “Got Rings?” interpretation. But no, Majestic had to go to the well one more time for this striking piece of apparel.

(For full disclosure, I used the idea again for the "Got Stache?" shirt, and that was THREE YEARS ago. The idea is old and past it's prime. Time to move on)

Not to mention that the new Yankee Stadium has drawn 50,086 fans to a game maybe five or six (being generous) times? Shirt should read "Got 25,000 Corporate Fans in the High Priced Box Seats Playing with IPhones and Eating Lobster Rolls?"

So, why am I so mad? I’m mad because I can GUARANTEE that a licensed Bald Vinny/Bleacher Creature shirt could outsell this garbage. I would risk everything on that bet. Hell, I would bet that marketing to my Twitter following ALONE would generate enough sales to beat this shirt.

Yet, I find myself in the position I am in, about to close my doors after 10+ years designing ORIGINAL and CREATIVE apparel for Yankees fans.

Why am I so confident? Well, for starters, I post a pic to a lame shirt and get over THREE THOUSAND views in 2 days. I’m sure you are all tired of hearing me toot my horn since my last blog…but come on! Do I really need to spell this stuff out?

Yankee fans, I know you all trust me to represent you in the apparel I create FOR YOU (the fans). I would never call for a boycott or anything harsh like that, but I hope those of you that I cater to would never buy such crap like this.

22 comments:

  1. it's a shitty shirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, the Yankees have not drawn 50,086 since 2008. Even further proof that these people suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pic doesn't even look like the damn stadium. #embarrassing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Jay. It sucks, I actually can't believe it passed any sort of QC. I love my Bald Vinny original shirts and people compliment me on them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't have said it better. The shirt indeed sucks, and i'm truly upset that you're leaving the bleachers after 10 years. I wish the best to you, you're a great example of a true Yankees fan. I also agree our with your comment about the corporate fans playing with the phones and such during games. Maybe that's why our stadium has a reputation for being quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vinny this shirt is ridculous. The Stadium (if you can call it that) looks like it was drawn by a 4th grader. And you're right. The phrase is past it's prime. Just like a 2 week old carton of milk. Yuk. One of the worst things on the planet.
    Your shirts are great and will always be #1. I wear my Swisher Salute all the time. Be well, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shirt is cheap and embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vinny you aren't tooting your own horn Somebody should wake up & give you a shot at selling your t-shirt designs I did buy them & would continue to buy your bleacher creature designs & other apparel Good Luck! I wish you all the Best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ONE thing Ive learned in business is that you can succumb to buying cheap, over produced, and crap-quality products/services (with horrific "Stadium" drawings) -- or you can seek out the best of the best; knowing that you would damn well pay MORE for the product or service because it's WORTH it to have that one-of-a-kind quality. That's what Bald Vinny is to Yankees fans -- and to boot? You're BEYOND fair in price! I, for one, am not a fan of the mass produced, cheap gear. I believe I'm a one of a kind person, a one of a kind fan, and that I deserve one of a kind gear -- the ONLY place to go for that in Yankees Universe? Is Bald Vinny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vinny, my entire collection of Yankee apparel consists of 1 custom jersey, all the rest is Bleacher Creature apparel. Your stuff is always high quality and more than reasonably priced. I will be ordering Christmas presents from your site in a few hours. Not gonna lie, I am really sad that my grand-daughters aren't going to be able to do roll call with you. It's something they have been talking about forever. Good luck with the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That drawing of "Yankee Stadium" looks like the new Giants Stadium with a fence around it. If it actually looked like Yankee Stadium, there would be no need for the huge font underneath declaring what it is. Garbage shirt that's probably well over $20. They also need to change the number to 50,085 ... Got Bald Vinny?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vinny this is horsehit...I will always wear by bleacher shirts proud down here in Savannah Ga.!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Preach Vinny!! I feel your pain! Us true artists can design shirts a hundred times better then the lame stuff they put out there! I have fans come up to me all the time when I wear my original stuff asking me where I got it because they are interested in something different, not lame poorly designed garbage! I hope you don't shut down, your stuff is awesome because it's designed by a real fan not some guy forced to throw things together on demand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This shirt SUCKS!!! I get compliments every time I wear my Swisher salute shirt.. And I work with nothing but Phillies fans!! And saying that your shirts are reasonably priced is an understatement. I can get 2 of your shirts for less than the price of a cheap majestic tee. Hopefully someone in the organization wakes up and offers you a position... You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the "Got" phase was killed by the Red Sox when they did "Got rings lately?" in 2009. And, within months, we could say, "Yeah, we do, and they ain't tainted, either."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vinny you couldn't be more right. The Yankees put out garbage for the most part and I have no idea who does their marketing at this point. Got fans? Really? So having more fans in the ballpark is supposed to excite me? Get with the program Yankees!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Justine. FanMade is truly a unique statement in any arena.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have thousands of fans out there. Raise the money to pay the license fee and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bashing Majestic for one t-shirt design out of 1000's is not going to get you a job with them or anyone in baseball. Majestic is good company that has to play by the rules of MLB. So what? Maybe it wasn't Majestic's best day in designing a t-shirt, but they produce many other great designs. Take it from a man in the biz, until you know how the licensed biz really works - get over your anger issues and focus on what is more important in life...your family. And stop hating on the Majestic fans while you are at it. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lame doesn't even begin to cover it. I thought the "Got ..." saying went out with hoop skirts. I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, but I wouldn't be caught dead in such an embarrassing shirt. I wish you and your family all the best, and you will certainly be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vin...find out what the licensing fee is, and then set up a way for all of us to contribute to it. PLEASE!
    Gula

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to see someone making money off of their passion. Here's to ya Vinny. Go Yankees.

    ReplyDelete